Thursday, February 16, 2006

To the Heart of Darkness

About a year ago at this time, I purchased a ticket to Belize, a small country in Central America famous for, among other things, the second largest coral reef in the world, world-class tarpon and permit fishing, grand Mayan temples and their attendant rich history, and lush rainforests inhabited by jaguars, howler monkeys, and toucans. For someone like me who is a strong proponent of safe-and-sound world travel, Belize had the added bonus of relative stability in its government.

Not this year. Just yesterday I booked a flight to Colombia -- not uptown Columbia, but Colombia with an "o" -- where kidnapping insurance is commonplace, where armored cars ferry children to and from school, where a bona fide war on drugs is being waged daily. In my understanding, armed guerillas roam the streets freely, alternatively sending out extortion letters and holding up hapless American tourists. To be sure, this ain't no Caye Caulker.

Why would I choose to go to such a place when there are plenty of tourist-friendly desitnations around the world that would help me part ways with my leftover loan money without exposing me to potential danger? All blame for this decision can be put squarely on the shoulders of my friend Dan, who has been in Colombia for the last 6 months or so and, prior to his newest mini-vacation from the real world, lived in South America for a number of years following college graduation. Far away from home but unwilling to do the prudent thing and return, he has cajoled, pleaded, and even begged for visitors.

It took some time, but his repeated entreaties -- and legally binding promises that Colombia "has changed" -- finally persuaded me to acquiesce. Fortunately, I'll be accompanied in this folly by another friend, Josh. Together, I believe our formidable legal educations and general street savvy should be enough to overcome the rash decision-making and general obliviousness that Dan is prone to. If nothing else, I'm almost certain the two of us can run faster than a guy whose occupation involves sitting at the computer all day.

No comments: