Monday, January 24, 2005

New Season of Apprentice - Degrees vs. Diplomas

A true statement: being in Manhattan allows you to truly appreciate this show to its fullest extent. I actually came to this somewhat obvious realization early last semester when I witnessed what I predict will be a marketing ploy related to one the show's forthcoming tasks (look for sky-writing and Home Depot). In fact, on numerous occasions last semester I almost made the trek up to Trump Tower for the free weekly showings at the World Bar to complete the reality TV experience. And this is in spite of my utter contempt for the Donald and his delusions of grandeur (I do agree that his fiance is pretty attractive).

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't add that I am and will always be a reality TV fan - it's just that much better than its competition. (Well, that is, except for a few points of light on an otherwise pitch black sky, e.g., Arrested Development and, according to the critics, Desperate Housewives). Even in the face of the backlash that is presently in vogue, I am resolute in my support and will vigorously defend the merits of reality TV. Regular and sometimes irregular people in stressful, ridiculous, or just plain contrived situations makes for television far superior to the trite, repetitive, spoken-by-a-dopey-father-to-a-misbehaving-adolescent as-the-stern-mother-looks-on jokes that are the standard fare of the average sitcom. If you don't agree with my position, there is no doubt in my mind that you must have missed such venerable reality TV classics as Average Joe (nerds vs. jocks competing for the affection of a model) and Joe Schmo (a nromal person is thrown into a fake reality TV show and is duped beyond belief).

But I digress. From the first episode of the new Apprentice, it seems as if the High Schoolers are going to be dominating the more educated but otherwise inept College-educateds. But, if there is one thing I know from being a reality TV veteran, its that nothing is as it appears. One thing, however, is certain: Apprentice and the new Survivor should make for good TV and a welcome distraction from law school.

No comments: