Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Case Round-up

Something I did not initially expect from law school was that I would be as interested in the material as I am. Now, it's not what your thinking. I mean, causation and promissory estoppel are great and all that, but what I really find compelling are the more bizarre cases. Torts, for instance, serves up some particularly choice morsels. For your sampling pleasure, here are a few of the more interesting cases I've run into lately while reading my Torts casebook:

Summers v. Tice: Three guys go hunting - one is a veteran hunter, the other two are novices being trained. Expert leads with the other two flanking him, one to each side. He flushes some quail from off to one side, which then proceed to fly right behind him. Both novices open fire on the quail - and on the expert, who loses an eye in the process.

Lindley v. Knowlton: Some children are attacked by their neighbor's chimpanzee (don't you hate it when that happens?). The mother recovers damages for trauma she suffered as a result of fending off the attacking primate. This case is from 1918, if you were wondering.

There are more, but I'm tired.

No comments: