Monday, March 06, 2006

Friends in Strange Places

Is it strange that I never speak at all to one of my best friends*? I never get together to hang out with him. I have never, in fact, met him at all. Other than one email, written in a drunken state late at night, we have never been in any form of direct contact at all. I do, however, hear from him for about an hour and half each day of the week, and sometimes on weekends.

His name is Phil Hendrie, the host of a nationally syndicated radio show, which features Mr. Hendrie performing interviews with himself as he plays a host of different characters. The cast of characters ranges from a weed-smoking professor of Astrophysics from Caltech to a psychopathic suburban house wife name Bobbie and her idiot husband who does nothing more than shout inane comments from the background. The appeal of the show is that this clever ruse -- a reverse prank call, if you will -- and Phil's uncanny ability to have a conversation with himself as two people (sometimes more) tricks inattentive or otherwise dimwitted listeners all across the country into calling the show and arguing against absurd and frequently offensive premises advocated by equally preposterous guests. Hearing the average American trying to convince a pompous business owner who speaks entirely in the third person ("I'm Ted Bell. Ted Bell doesn't ride
coach.") that there should not be a law allowing business owners to drink and drive because of their need for additional stress relief is one of the most hilarious things I've ever encountered.

If you don't believe me, you should give him a try. His website is www.philhendrieshow.com. There are a number of free audio clips available. You might make a new best friend out of it.

* Perhaps "best friend" is overstating the case a bit. But he is undoubtedly one of the people who figures prominently in my life. He is someone I would miss were he not around. In some ways, he is little different than a friend you communicate with solely through email, only in this situation my obligation is not to reply, but to give him $6.95 a month. A small price to pay for almost 45 hours per month of entertainment.

No comments: